Friday, June 10, 2011

Cement Pond Cancelled?

Mini-back-hoes can’t fly but they can be hoisted. Who needs a ramp when you got a crane? Several days ago a tall fence was put up around what I’ve called the Downtown Mosquito Hatchery for the past couple of summers. It was an abandoned construction site that maintained a stagnant pool for yours. As the officer on site told me – he wouldn’t let me go closer for these pictures – after four years, they are going to build a building here.

Four years. They got the foundation done then halted. Thus, the cement pond of filthy, smelly muck. To be fair, the recession hit construction quite severely and two years ago several Jersey City officials were indicted so developers were forced to develop new bribe lists. Farewell muck, good bye cement pond. Let’s hope there’s a decline in mosquito borne illnesses. Cholera is no joke! Construction gets delayed, and even though the stagnant, filthy water would be around longer than might be healthy, it did get drained periodically. Today at least was a visible step in the right direction, construction equipment has successfully been stationed within the foundation.









It was cool seeing the equipment in the air. You don’t see that sort of thing all the time. This summer’s Downtown Mosquito Hatchery has been cancelled almost as fast as a July 4th municipal firework display! I’m making too many snarky, inside J.C. quips here. Alas…






This was one of my first Dislocation posts. I feel nostalgic. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with the blog. Within its first month, I decided to pick up an inexpensive digital camera and try some Zen-like J.C. reflections. The cement pond is a regular route for me. Now, that sort of thing now makes up the bulk of this here blog. Ironic, huh. Here is the first


Then there was the
Semi-Frozen and Really Frozen and then melted


No comments:

Post a Comment