Monday, May 30, 2011

Pac-Art

Another street artist makes his or her mark, the stencil act. What is with this Gen x/y fascination with Pac Man? I think we all fetish-size our childhood to some extent, a side-effect of nostalgia I suppose. Can't quite figure out if the kids are fetish-sizing their childhood or 'old skool' video games. I wasn’t a child when this video game hit the arcade, nor was I a big arcade go-er. Just a little too old. Pac Man replaced the pinball games in a lot of the dives I drank at but by then I wasn’t interested in the pinball so couldn’t garner interest in the video games. I was pure, like Bukowski. Least that was the excuse I might have used. I remember video arcades in the mall during the dawn of the Reagan era. I see this artist’s parents heading towards divorce, the only happy times was when he or she (okay, more likely a he) was given a roll of quarters and told to wait at the arcade. This street art memoralizes that happy memory, which like all happy memories is a little bit sad. Just speculating here. This particularly stencil is way off the beaten path, on an overpass pillar, way at the end of a parking lot. Not only is the message obscured, a need to know basis, but so is the placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment