Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Post-Electric Typewriter

Those IBM Selectrics could not be killed, and apparently they survive pretty well against fire too. I forget exactly this was, somewhere right off Erie Street. A fire, relatively recently by the looks of things. Place being cleaned out. That typewriter, it didn’t exactly survived but among what is left, this machine is only recognizable object. I used to have one just like it. I’m old enough to have used on typewriter. I’m old enough to have learned how to type on a typewriter. I wonder how long before the fire had this thing been in use? A few old time writers out there still swear by the typewriter. I think one is Cormac McCarthy. Was there one of them like that there off Erie? Or was this just forgotten in a closet and only fished out after the blaze? You get that sadness when you see random remnants of a life, that there was a story here that you’ll never really know.




No comments:

Post a Comment